Seixeiro has left the building! Seixeiro has left the building! Well, not quite. The fair maiden of the Tim and Sid combo is away for the next couple of days preparing/covering for Saturday’s upcoming UFC 129. A historical event for Toronto MMA fans and I’m sure our boy Sid will do a great job. In the meantime, Tim was pullin’ rank and doing the show alone with backup from both Noon and Bronsteter. Immediately from the start, it was obvious that the show had lots to cover as Tim jumped right into the topics for the day:
1. The pressure on Luongo to win game 7.
2. The win by the Memphis Grizzlies over the San Antonio Spurs (Is there a changing of the guard?)
3. And to top it all off, Tim was speaking with two special guests, Ed Olczyk of NBC/Versus NHL and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
NBA Playoff Breakdown w/Adrian Wojnarowski
I was actually looking forward to this segment as I’ve been a big fan of Adrian for awhile now. The guy really knows his basketball and defintiely has a grasp for the game and it’s politics. Much of the conversation centered around the “crumbling of the Spurs” and why they seem to be losing to the Vancouver Grizzlies (no that’s not a typo). In order to do Adrian justice, it’s better that I just post his blog here so you can get an idea of how he believes the Spurs are falling from grace sooner than expected. Tim threw out the suggestion that maybe it was due to the Spurs style of play – it appears the team’s offense is focused less on Duncan than it has been in the past. And I completey agree with that assumption, especially with Duncan aging and becoming less of an offensive threat. But Adrian made a great counter point. Since Tony Allen has arrived in Memphis, he’s clearly made a big impact on the Grizzlies – giving the team a “Get Tough” attitude. And being tough in the NBA, especially in the playoffs, is a huge intangible that teams need to succeed.
The changing of the guard was also briefly discussed. The way the playoffs have been going in the first round, powerhouses such as the Lakers, Spurs, Magic, and Mavericks are getting beat. Age seems to be catching up and like any cycle, roles are reversing. Other topics in the NBA discussed were Tim’s crush on Chris Paul, Does Stan Van Gundy get the axe?, and thoughts on whether or not D12 leaves. And speaking of Dwight Howard, it seems this guys has a children’s record, “Shoot for the Stars“. Thanks to Bronsteter’s research skills, listeners experienced some shitty ass music. Click the album title above to have a listen for yourself.
Some Interesting Facts From Pizzo’s Update
1. Seinfeld vs. Turkey – Tim is not a huge fan of Jerry, Elaine, George, or Kramer. But he likes turkey so it balances out.
2. It seems that some guy has made a replica of the Stanley Cup. This guy is a douchebag because it’s 74 lbs. How is that a replica? I dare you to lift that over your head and skate around.
3. BMW vs. a Hole-in-One. Noon said he’d rather have a hole-in-one. I love you Noon but I think you have a hole in the head. (During this heated discussion and Noon’s preference to a Hole-in-one, I think “Bullshit” was shouted approx. 12 times).
4. Sid has a hairy back apparently. I’m pretty sure Tim let that one slip.
Eddie Olczyk vs. “Dickhead” Bryzgalov
Great discussion with former NHL hockey player and now colour commentator for NBC/Versus, Ed Olczyk. Most of the conversation focused on the big VAN/CHI game 7. Some questions were thrown Eddie’s way: Did Vigneault make a mistake benching Luongo in game 6? Should the Canucks be worried about Luongo’s psyche? Olczyk flet Luongo being pulled was a good decision and it shouldn’t have any effect on him for game 7. Apparently, he felt Luongo’s game not only got better this past year, especially after winning the gold medal, but Lui grew as a person/individual (matured) as well. It was great to hear Ed’s opinion on the topic because most the sports articles I’ve read since the situation went down either said it was a “huge mistake” on part of the organization and Lui will “never recover”. I’m a big fan of hearing different perspectives.
But the highlight of this portion was the comment on Phoenix goaltender, Ilya Bryzgalov. Recently, the Coyotes netminder made some comments regarding the possible move to Winnipeg.
“You don’t want to go to Winnipeg, right?” Bryzgalov said after the Coyotes lost to Detroit, Wednesday night. “Not many people live there, not many Russian people there. Plus it’s cold. There’s no excitement except the hockey. No park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It’s going to be tough life for your family.”
BAM! Them are fighting words. I love Eddie’s response though – sly, but hilarious. He felt Ilya should keep his mouth shut and felt the move might actually be good for him “because there were a few good goalie schools in the Winnipeg area that might help him, especially after his performance in this year’s playoffs.” While I’m sure Bryzgalov was trying to be funny, I think he needs to keeps some comments to himself. Remember his comments on Pronger possibly moving back to Edmonton?
Timmy’s “Golden” Rant
This was by far the best rant I’ve ever heard on broadcast radio. It reminded me of the guy from “The Rent is Too Damn High” party. Pure Gold!!!!! Basically Tim went on a tangent pleading with the Vancouver Canucks to stay calm. They were the #1 seed, led the league with 117 pts., had the best GF/GFA, and had the gold winning netminder. And in all that, he threw out a shit load of names in honour of past Canucks. I was unable to catch them all. To name a few: Kirk McLean, Trevor Linden, Tony Tanti, Greg Adams, Russ Courtnell, Petr Neved, Garth Butcher…..and the rant went on.
– White Meat vs. Dark Meat: I like white meat, especially when it comes to Swiss Chalet. Pornstars like the dark meat.
– Deodorant vs. Anti-Perspirant: Deodorant is the way to go. I specifically like the Gillette 24 hr. protection (found at Walmart for $4.99)
– Luongo vs. Miller: Tim loves Lui and Pizzo is a Miller guy.
– Lingerie vs. Women’s Beach Volleyball: Women’s Beach Volleyball is the way to go. Those chicks are athletic, tanned, generally good looking, and have money. The gals from team Lingerie could easily be dirty chicks looking to donate some STD’s. Double Bag boys!
– Tim has never “watched sports for sexual purposes ever! ever!”: Cassie Campbell could make any man limp.
Overall, great episode….the boys brought the good stuff today. The interviews were fantastic. I did miss Sexy Sid, but Tim’s rant made up for it. I don’t like giving 10’s but that tribute to Jimmy Mcmillan – 10/10