Sid “Sexy” Seixeiro is in the building! The man who always steps over the line, who doesn’t have an inside voice, and curses like the devil was back in the studio. While Tim held the fort like no other last week, it was still good to have Sid back. He brings an element of randomness – and random is what we got. Initially, I really didn’t know what to expect on today’s Tim and Sid: Uncut. After last night’s Osama Bin Laden news, UFC 129, and the current NBA/NHL playoffs, the boys had lots to choose from.
Immediately as the show’s introduction finished, Tim and Sid started in on the death of Osama Bin Laden. As Sid put it, “Twitter was crazy last night. It puts us in the same room together.” Both guys began a hilarious part of the segment by reading tweets from the night before regarding the death of Osama. Bronsteter was quick on the button as each one fully deserved CSI horns. Some one-liners included:
– “Osama Bin Laden has upper body injury. Will not return.” – Tim Micallef
– “He decided to take his talents to hell.” – Sid Seixeiro
– “Can we officially call Osama Bin Laden the Champion of Hide-and-Go Seek” – Tim Micallef
– “I guess he can shave the playoff beard.” – Tim Micallef
– “Hey Tim, hear about Bin Laden? That motherfucker is dead.” – Sid Seixeiro
I could tell in Sid’s voice that he was too pumped to really talk about anything for a long period of time. He was interrupting Tim, jumping to random topics, screaming out shit – he was awesome. Give this man horns for his enthusiasm alone. He jumped from Bronsteter’s pork butt, to what Osama’s been up to before he got caught, to geo-tagging, to Seth Myers. It was a great back-and-forth by the guys. Sid mentioned that he believed the world will demand a photo of Bin Laden dead. Tim, however, wondered if maybe that might be a double standard. Would we, as Canadians, want to see pictures of our troops killed or photos of individuals kidnapped by terrorists? I can see where he’s coming from. Sid mentioned that he found it a very strange period when photos and videos of Sadaam’s death were released. This part of the conversation actually had a serious undertone and I commend the guys on having some #realtalk. Overall, this was a great first half of the radio show. Definitely important stuff to discuss as this is what’s goin’ on in the world. My fiancee loved the political chat as she works for a government “think tank” here in Waterloo. She was quite impressed and laughed at just about every sentence.
Tim also mentioned how much he loved National Anthems and how he gets jacked up when hearing them. He mentioned a particular duo Kate Smith and Lauren Hart that would be heard at the PHI/BOS game. I didn’t recognize the name at first but when I brought up the video, I remembered who he was talking about. Below is a video from tonight’s game.
Interesting Facts from Pizzo’s update:
1. During the news of Bin Laden’s death last night, twitter exploded with tweets, and some of the best tweets came from athletes. Well, actually not the best – Rudy Gay’s tweet sucked. Some tweets included: “Okay, so we killed Osama, we just need to find Waldo & Carmen Sandiego, then I’l be happy.” and “Since we got Osama, Do I need to take my laptop out at security?”.
2. Marathon story #4: Brett Henderson of St. Paris, Ohio, was stopped by officers with a taser when he refused to stop running the Flying Pig Marathon. He was running naked!
3. During game 7 between the Bruins and Canadiens, Zdeno Chara was spotted drinking Coca-Cola behind the bench for a refresher. The problem – the NHL is sponsored by a little called company Pepsi-Cola. Let’s just say they fired off a letter to Chara and don’t want the incident to happen again – not a in Coke-branded container at least.
4. If Jack Layton wins the election, Sid is moving to Buffalo. He’s getting the hell out of Canada. Tim didn’t realize that Jack went to his massage parlour – “They are gonna fuck you.” (in best Italian accent)
UFC 129 Recap
I’m not going to lie. I actually expected this to be what most of today’s Tim and Sid: Uncut was going to involve. I mean it was the biggest news headline for Toronto this weekend. However at 11:30pm Sunday, that was quickly forgotten about as most of the talk today was about the death of Bin Laden. So I completely understand why the show went in the direction it did. Either way, discussion began with talk on the UFC’s ability to convey the energy felt in the building to the television for those watching at home. Sid felt the the Rogers Centre was “fucking crazy” with excitement, but it didn’t seem to come across to viewers at home. Talk then drifted to the GSP/Shields and Hominick/Aldo fights. Sid believed, much like most people in the building and at home, that the Hominick fight was much more exciting that the main fight. However Sid was surprised that fight was even allowed to continue. “The guy had a tit on his head.” Both Tim and Sid felt that if it had exploded, we might not be having another MMA fight in Ontario for along time. For me personally, I was impressed that the fight continued….but it rang the hypocrisy that goes on at times in sports. We’ve spent the last few months complaining about head shots, fights, etc. that go on in hockey, but once the UFC come to town, we’re ready for individuals to knock each other the fuck out. I’m pretty sure the same dude that was cheering beside me for Hominick to break Aldo’s face, was the same guy that calls into radio shows complaining that head shots and fighting should be banned (Just some thoughts).
The last bit of UFC 129 talk involved the bonuses fighters get for “Fight of the Night”. The Hominick/Aldo fight won both fighters $129,000 – small beans when you compare the $11.5 million collected at the gate (this doesn’t include the PPV). Tim suggested that Dana White should watch out as a revolt could happen in the future. To back that up, Sid mentioned that almost all the guys who fought Saturday have to sit for at least 15 days – it was a brutal card. I guess the question is whether fighters will think it’s worth it when they’re getting paid so little, compared to what the UFC actually collects from a UFC event. But Bronsteter had a great counterpoint when he said that most fighters would be happy with that payday; compared to the $15,000 that some fighters, like Hominick, make per fight.
Well, Rapid Fire lasted approximately two minutes today. The show was filled with so much random shit that by the time Tim and Sid got to Bronsteter, there wasn’t much time left. However, I give Orville credit, he managed to get in two sweet questions.
– Is Seth Meyer the best weekend update host of all time? Tim and Sid choose Dennis Miller. I agree with Bronsteter – Norm is the guy I nominate.
– Sacramento Kings are staying for at least one more year in the NBA before a possible move. Who’s your favourite Kings player?: Bobby Jackson and Olden Polynice were mentioned. I choose Mitch Richmond, I still have that guy’s jersey from the early 90’s.
Sid’s back in the house! Crazy ass show – I honestly don’t know what to say. There was so much shit jam packed into 55 minutes. My fiancee and I listened to the podcast on the ride home tonight so I’m going to let her give the rating. Her words, “Does Sid have ADD? I’ve never seen a guy run through so many topics in a span of 50 minutes. He’s hilarious.” MK’s rating 10/10 for the political content and the Sid-isms.