As a recently uprooted Newfoundlander (moved to Waterloo to finish my degree), I get pretty stoked when I hear the boys discuss the likes of Ryane Clowe and Daniel Cleary on the Tim and Sid: Uncut radio show. Some might call it being overly patriotic, but coming from a small province like Newfoundland, whenever the boys from the “Rock” are having success in the National Hockey League, you can’t help but feel a huge sense of pride. In recent weeks, Clowe, who plays for the San Jose Sharks, has been discussed several times due to his execeptional play in the first two rounds of the 2011 NHL Playoffs. But were you aware that all of the remaining clubs left vying for Lord Stanley’s Cup have a Newfoundlander within their organization? The chatter I hear from family and friends back home is that “whichever way you look at it, the Stanley Cup will be making its way to Newfoundland.”
Daniel Cleary, Carbonear, NL: Detroit Red Wings
– Drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1997
– Regular Season: ’10 – ’11 : 26 g. 20 ass.
– 2011 Playoffs.: 2 g. 4 ass.
Ryane Clowe, Fermeuse, NL: San Jose Sharks
– Drafted by the San Jose Sharks in 2001
– Regular Season: ’10 – ’11: 24 g. 38 ass.
– 2011 Playoffs: 4 g. 9 ass.
Teddy Purcell, St. John’s, NL: Tampa Bay Lightning
– Undrafted by an NHL team but eventually made
his way on the Los Angeles Kings’ roster
– He was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning in ’10
– Regular Season: ’10 – ’11: 17 g. 34 ass.
– 2011 Playoffs: 1 g. 10 ass.
Michael Ryder, Bonavista, NL: Boston Bruins
– Drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1998
– Regular Season: ’10 – ’11: 18 g. 23 ass.
– 2011 Playoffs: 2 g. 3 ass.
Darryl Williams, Labrador City, NL: Vancouver Canucks
– Named Assistant Coach, Video on August 12th, 2008
– Williams joined the team after 4 seasons with the St. John’s Fog Devils
Paul Brothers, Bishop Falls, NL: the Score
– For shits I thought I’d throw in this guy.
– Scored a broadcasting gig with the Score
– Crowned the winner of Gillette DRAFTED in 2009
– Rumoured that he’s still part of the Sheddawgs.
I’m a loud, proud Newfoundlander. – T.F.
* As usual, the daily Tim and Sid: Uncut review with be up this evening or tomorrow morning.